Heather is an accomplished trial attorney. While serving in the United States Air Force Judge Advocate General’s Corps, Heather represented the United States as a prosecutor in over twenty federal trials (courts-martial), acted as criminal defense counsel in six courts-martial, defended the United States in Equal Employment Opportunity hearings, defended the United States against contractor GAO protests, and represented either the United States or individual airmen in dozens of other administrative and criminal actions. In addition, she served as the Chief of Military Justice for the 437th Airlift Wing at Charleston Air Force Base, managing the base’s entire military criminal and administrative actions. Heather served 4 ½ years of active duty, and 3 ½ years of Individual Ready Reserve (attaining the rank of Major while on IRR). Prior to entering the Air Force, and while still a law student, Heather worked at the City of Cleveland Prosecutor’s Office for 2 ½ years as a mediator in the Neighborhood Mediation Program, and later worked as a law clerk.
Following the Air Force, Heather was a trial counsel at a large Cleveland, Ohio law firm. Her practice areas included: products liability defense, mass tort defense, medical malpractice defense, and commercial litigation, and, more specifically, pharmaceutical and medical device defense. That representation included defense of a Fortune 500 pharmaceutical company during an FDA recall of a major product. Heather also led her firm’s defense transition team through the acquisition and integration of thousands of mass toxic tort cases acquired from other defense firms, with cases pending in over 30 states.
Heather founded The Melick Law Firm with her husband, Greg (a Shareholder with LNL), which was a boutique complex commercial litigation firm. Heather has three children with her husband, Greg, and two stepsons.
Some of Heather’s accomplishments are:
- Civil litigation: Successfully defended a $3.0 million trust in a probate action; Plaintiff’s counsel for a number of former franchisees against Petland, Inc (see Arnold v. Petland; Blasko v. Petland); negotiated a favorable severance package for an employee terminated by her employer; defended an airline in a complex personal injury case filed by a mother on behalf of a newborn child; defended numerous personal injury cases for various pharmaceutical products.
- As a prosecutor: Successfully prosecuted an airman for the rape of a 12 year-old child, and the statutory rape of other young girls (guilty verdict, 12 years confinement and a Dishonorable Discharge); successfully prosecuted numerous drug cases; successfully prosecuted theft cases and child pornography cases.
- As a criminal defense attorney: successfully defended a local Ohio Mayor resulting in the complete dismissal of a charge against him; worked with investigators to clear a client whose e-mail address was implicated in the distribution of child pornography; negotiated favorable plea deals in misdemeanor and traffic offense cases; attained an acquittal at a court-martial for theft and identity theft; defense of an arson case, and of a child molestation case resulting in no charges being filed against either client
- Phone: 614.221.7663
- Fax: 866.345.4948
- Email: HMelick@LNLattorneys.com
- Supreme Court of Ohio 1997 – Present
- United States Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces 1998 – Present
- United States Air Force Court of Criminal Appeals 1998 – Present
- United States District Court, N.D. of Ohio 2002 – Present
- United States District Court, S.D. of Ohio 2007 – Present
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Cleveland Bar Association 2004 – 2008
- Columbus Bar Association 2007 – Present
- Women Lawyers of Franklin County, 2008 – 2010
Speaking Engagements & Publications:
Honors and Awards:
Community Interest or Involvement: